French toast with blueberry compôte recipe
Recipe from the farmer’s daughter
- 6 slices of thick, white bread
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- pinch of salt
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- The best french toast is made with dry bread, so the slices don’t get super soggy when dipped into the egg mixture and fall apart. Buy a fresh loaf, slice it, and then let it dry out the day before.
- Whisk together the milk and egg.
- Slowly add the flour.
- Add in the sugar, salt, cinnamon and vanilla extract.
- Dip bread slices into the egg mixture until saturated.
- Heat a frying pan to medium heat and cook bread on each side until golden brown.
- Serve warm with the blueberry compôte.
- 3 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Combine blueberries, water and lemon juice in a medium saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
Photo: Elena Demyanko