Blueberry clafoutis recipe
- Butter for pan
- 1¼ cups milk
- ⅔ cup sugar, divided
- 3 eggs, or use flax eggs* to make it vegan
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
- 2 generous cups frozen blueberries, thawed and well drained
- Icing sugar mixture in a shaker
- Heat oven to 180°C.
- Lightly butter a medium-size flameproof baking dish at least 4 cm deep.
- Place the milk, ⅓ cup sugar, eggs, vanilla, salt and flour in a blender. Blend at top speed until smooth and frothy, about 1 minute.
- Pour a 1cm layer of batter in the baking dish. Turn on a stove burner to low and set dish on top for a minute or two, until a film of batter has set in the bottom of the dish. Remove from heat.
- Spread berries over the batter and sprinkle on the remaining ⅓ cup sugar.
- Pour on the rest of the batter and smooth with the back of a spoon.
- Place in the centre of the oven and bake about 50 minutes, until top is puffed and browned and a tester plunged into its centre comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar mixture just before serving. (Clafoutis need not be served hot but should still be warm. It will sink slightly as it cools.)
* To make a flax egg, mix 1 tablespoon of flaxseed (ground linseed) with 2½ tablespoons of water and let sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
Photo: BBA Photography