- 225 grams plain flour
- 200 grams sugar
- 40 grams cocoa powder plus 1 tablespoon for coating blueberries
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 80 ml vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 250 ml water room temperature
- 150 grams frozen blueberries
- vegetable spray or oil for coating loaf pan
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Grease a loaf pan with a thin layer or spray of vegetable oil and line with baking paper.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, bicarb soda, and salt. Combine well.
- Add the vegetable oil, vinegar, vanilla and water.
- Mix all of the ingredients together until well combined.
- Toss the frozen blueberries with the 1 tablespoon of reserved cocoa powder until well coated.
- Gently fold the blueberries into your cake batter with a rubber spatula.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan. Smooth out the top with your rubber spatula.
- Bake your cake in the middle rack of your oven for 55–60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for 5 minutes in the pan until transferring it onto a cooling rack.
- You can use fresh blueberries in this recipe but you may need to adjust your baking time.
- The glaze on this cake is optional; it is perfectly delicious even without the glaze. Alternatively, you can dust your cake with a bit of icing sugar.
- This cake keeps well at room temperature for 2–3 days. Any longer and your cake should be kept in the refrigerator. This cake also freezes well.
Recipe by Mia Kouppa. Photo by suremen.