Blueberry and lemon scones
- 2 cups of plain white flour
- ½ cup of white sugar
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of butter
- 1 egg
- ½ cup of sour cream
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of lemon zest
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 cup of frozen blueberries
For the glaze:
- ½ cup of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Using a knife, cut the butter into the flour mixture. You can also you a food processer or two forks. Be cautious when using your hands as this will cause the butter to warm and affect the texture of the scones.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, sour cream, vanilla extract, lemon zest, lemon juice and milk until completely combined.
- Add the wet mixture to the butter and flour mixture. Carefully incorporate until you have a wet shaggy dough.
- Gently fold in the frozen blueberries. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured sheet of baking paper. Form it into balls the size of your palm and gently push down.
- Place them into the preheated oven and cook for 15 minutes or until slightly brown on the top.
- While the scones are cooling, drizzle the glaze over each scone.
Serve with cream and blueberry jam!